109 East Orange St. Chagrin Falls, OH 44022 chris@emilyjerryfoundation.org 440.289.8662

Month: August 2009

Pharmacist Sentenced For Toddler’s Death

A former Cleveland area pharmacist got jail time in connection with the death of a toddler.

41-year-old Eric Cropp has been sentenced to six months in jail, six months of house arrest and three years probation in the death of 2-year-old Emily Jerry.
Read the full article here.

Man Seeks Nationwide Law After Toddler’s Death

Chris Jerry still hears the screams of his 2-year-old daughter, Emily, after a pharmacy technician gave her an improperly mixed dose of chemotherapy.

Emily Jerry of Mentor died in March 2006, three days after receiving the lethal dose during what was supposed to be her final chemotherapy treatment. A grapefruit-sized tumor found in her abdomen was gone, and her parents were planning a trip to Disney World to celebrate her defeat of the cancer. Read the full article here.

Rx for errors: Drug error killed their little girl

Emily Jerry was nearly ready to go home from a Cleveland hospital. The grapefruit-size tumor in her abdomen seemed gone, and the 2-year-old with blond ringlets and blue eyes was getting one last round of chemotherapy just to make sure.

Instead, the treatment killed her. A pharmacy technician at Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital mixed Emily’s chemotherapy drug with a saline solution 26 times above normal. The pharmacist on duty didn’t catch the error. Soon after getting the drug, Emily was on life support. She died three days later, on March 1, 2006.
Read the full article here.

Fatal dose: Pharmacy tech working again

Channel 3 News has learned that Pharmacy Technician Katie Ferg-Dudash, who mixed a fatal dose of Sodium Chloride that killed 2-year-old Emily Jerry is working at a local CVS Pharmacy.

In February 2006, Emily Jerry went to Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital for her final dose of chemotherapy for a cancerous tumor in her abdomen. By this point, it appeared Emily had beaten the cancer but her doctors wanted her to have one more dose to make sure. Read the full article here.